Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Personal Statment

There might be surplus reasons, why I people choose to further his/her studies as a mature student, but for me it was not purely down to how much I could prospectively be earning in my later life, rather I was concerned about having the opportunity to build up the standard and quality of my life and not to forget I’d also have a far greater understanding of the people around me and computing in general.
I don’t actually remember the date or age when I first saw or used the computer but I do remember that I was studying in standard three. I was on vacation so I had been to Kathmandu to my uncle’s. Where I saw the first ever Laptop of my life, they still have it but it is all wracked. It had Microsoft Windows 98 as operating system. I vividly remember that it also had inbuilt printer which I think was only one of its kind. It had a zip-drive to share and copy files to other computers. On that vacation I had lots of fun because my uncle bought some interesting games for me to play. Since then I was fond of computers and technologies. Later same year we had computer as a major module in school. And computer were also installed in, what grabbed my immediate attention about those computer was the fact that it had a Compact disk player attached.   I found myself fascinated with the sheer size of the disc. 
Whenever I hear of new technology I always have to find out about it and go deep down into it before any one else.

A good example of this is wireless internet, in this technology you don’t need to connect your computer to the modem or the cable to access the internet. This technology has revolutionised the way of computing. By this technology computer and mobile phones can access internet from any where they like and even share files wirelessly.
My very interest is in the actual workings of the computer. I always upgrade my  laptop and search for new and interesting software’s. Actually I’ve done most of the upgrades on my home computer. So far I have put in a new hard drive, added more ram, added in modems and TV cards and I have also added DVD rewritable. I do the entire computer servicing by my self at home. I’ve learned this all form the failures and mistakes from the past while trying to fix the faults in my computer. I don’t feel bad to mention that once I had short circuited my computer that I had to change the whole system to new.

Before coming to study at Islington, I was preparing for SAT for the further studies in USA on computer as major. But my parents were against my decision, it was quiet a hard time for me because I always wanted to have an international degree and my parents wanted me to stay with them  and there was only one solution to it and that was to join Islington. Before joining the Islington I had already wasted my two years of time on nothing so without wasting any more time I got enrolled in BSCCSIT (computing) programme.
Looking back at my first semester at Islington, I do believe that my development so far has been fairly successfully, but with room for improvement.
The module in which I achieved the highest result was Logic.  For the first part of coursework and test I managed to get 80%.  The aim of the task was to solve the mathematical problems for the different topics. And currently I’m waiting for the result for the second test held at the end of the semester.
Problem Solving for IT was very interesting, as the module enhanced your way of thinking, providing more of a logical approach to problem solving. For the first part of the test I got only 65%. Thought the questions were very simple and easy. But due to lack of vocabulary I couldn’t do it right. I am currently awaiting the results of the coursework part two that holds the 75% marks of the module.

Study Skills for Computing has been a module that has helped students enhancing the all round quality of their work.  I am totally aware of the concept behind the use of learning aids,  which not only provide the user with a visual perceptive of methods to complete a task, but also lets the user interact with on-screen objects.  Assessment for the module was to present a learning object using power point in a group. We were only two in the group and our topic was “How to create Wi-Fi hotspot with aid of laptop”. And I think we nailed it pretty well.
Though I’ve not in position to talk about my future right now  but I think my future career will most probably  be one associated with my degree, hopefully a profession in programming.

I am thoroughly looking forward to pursuing my interests both academically and socially and I am eager to experience the challenge that University brings.
I believe I am full of the necessary enthusiasm and skill to be a successful and effective student at Islington.

No comments:

Post a Comment